Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Drift Away

I'll dream a little dream of you
And have a smoke and drink or two
And in the smoke, I'll see your face
Billow, swell, and dissipate
As I drift away.

My bones are growing older now
Friends fade away, I don't know how
To hold on with these sleeping eyes
Perhaps a blessing in disguise
Lets me drift away.

I talk to strangers, who relate,
Debate, complain, commiserate.
As I inhale this acrid air
Pinch me, so I know you're not there.
And I can drift away.

The constellations spell your name
As Orion takes careful aim
To shoot a star across the skies
And hit me straight between the eyes
The heavens explode
In celestial nodes
The skies won't ever be the same

Sleep calls me on a tin can phone
I hear it o'er the city's drone
This is where I rest my head
My eyes feel weighted down with lead
As I drift away

I'll dream a little dream of you
You wave goodbye and say 'adieu'
Then I smile and blow a kiss
Remember, love, and reminisce.
I let you drift away.

As I drift away.

No comments: